John Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 18:35:18 GMT
In <[log in to unmask]> "Jorge O. Arriagada" <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Those with orphaned lists should start bugging the computer gurus at their
>academic institutions to run listserv.  If budget is the problem I suppose
they
>can consider MAJORDOMO, which at this point costs $0.00.

There are other major costs besides acquiring the software.  Staff time is
needed to install and configure the software, train list owners and handle
the day to day operation (eg. answer user queries, handle technical problems,
etc.).  Machine resources are needed, eg. a list with a large number
of subscribers could easily add several thousand messages per day to the
system load.

My personal opinion based on my experience supporting mailing lists
(using the Unix Listprocessor software) and as a Usenet News Administrator
is that many of the mailing lists which currently exist should be replaced
with newsgroups.  Newsgroups are far less of a hassle to support and make
more efficient use of network bandwidth and machine resources.

Mailing lists are still the best option for
   1) very specialized topics that will only attract a small number
      of participants.
   2) private discussion where subscribers are added by invitation only
      or screened in some way.
--
John Stewart -- Computing and Communications Services, Carleton University
Internet: [log in to unmask]                       613-788-2600x3707