Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:35:57 -0400
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:44:15 -0300, Bruno Robichaud said:

> About the millions email I don't think we never going to send as many per
> day, I just don't know how many they want to send so I just putted a very
> high amount to be sure that our system will be performing really good.

Proper sizing is important.  You literally end up adding 2 zeros to the price
for every single zero you add to the capacity once you get past a certain level.

Also, having built a big system with dynamic queue shuffling and throttling
and all that stuff needed to get a really high throughput, you will need somebody
clued to *manage* it.  And that will likely cost money in one way or another..

So you *really* need to ask your management:

a) How much are you planning to send the first 6 months?
b) In 2-3 years?
c) In 5 years?

Trying to plan *any* project without at least a rough idea of these sort of
things is total foolishness and leads to nothing but bad karma....

And if your management *can't* answer those questions, you should be asking
somebody (possibly yourself) "why can't management tell me?".