Landy Manderson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Jun 1993 11:20:24 CDT
On Mon, 28 Jun 1993 17:44:53 CED <[log in to unmask]> said:
>On Mon, 28 Jun 1993 17:39:58 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>>Sorry, but if I added a kludge to LISTSERV for each and every popular but
>>broken piece of  software in the network,  I'd soon end up  with a broken
>>piece of software myself :-)
>Now LISTSERV  took some  time to write,  LMAIL was a  few months.  You've been
>asked this several times so don't you  think it's about time to release a beta
>version of  your MWAND  server? Sure  you have something  like that.  I expect
>nothing more than:
>  {...}
>  * and of course  discard notes nobody wants  to see anyway with  a number of
>    fake "geez  you're right" and  "I totally  agree" responses to  the sender
>    just to keep him happy

I would like to add:

   * detect and discard notes which contain any language that may be
     considered abusive, obnoxious, profane, offensive, politically
     incorrect, or culturally insensitive by any subscriber, OR that
     dares to imply that Unix or any of its associated protocols,
     systems, or packages are in any way inferior to their prehistoric
     predecessors.  Senders of notes detected by this heuristic would
     automatically receive a random collection of even more abusive,
     obnoxious, profane, offensive, politically incorrect, culturally
     insensitive, and sneering commentary (in digest form, please) from
     58% of the subscribers to the list in question.
   * detect and discard notes which have been posted to more than three
     lists, since these are obviously solicitations of some sort.  Same
     result to sender as above.
   * all of the above features, including the ones proposed by Christian,
     should be selectable on a site, list, host, user and time basis, with
     options at each level to override the changes at other levels.
     Changes to settings should be possible through any IP based protocol
     including, but not restricted to, Telnet, SMTP, FTP, NJE, talk, finger.
   * the MWAND package must be installable over the network (again, using
     any IP based protocol) with absolutely no intervention required by
     any person making over 25% of the average pay of the associated
     institution (percentage higher in EC countries and as specified by
     local ordinance).
   * package must use no more than 2M of memory
   * must include WWW-based documentation, which should contain phone
     numbers of the author's place of employment, place of residence,
     and place of most-likely location for intake of alcoholic liquids.