Liam Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:11:20 -0500
> I pretty much kept the default for what LSoft recommends in their
> install document with the exception of the limit number of connections
> per domain since I knew a lot would be going to our domain, kent.edu . I
> am also open to suggestions of using a different SMTP mailer. I've also
> read about people putting in a separate box just for handling the
> mailing part.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the Microsoft SMTP mailer for anything
except pretty low-volume usage, because, as you've discovered, it's all
but impossible to do any destination-specific tuning.  While you might
want to open 500 connections to KENT.EDU, you definitely don't want to
open 500 connections to YAHOO.COM.  SMTPSVC doesn't give you an easy way
to differentiate.  You can define KENT.EDU under the 'Domains'
configuration and specify a smart host, but I don't actually know what
limits SMTPSVC observes for delivery to a smart host.

Because of the lack of destination-specific tuning in SMTPSVC, it usually
does make sense to use a dedicated SMTP server for mailing of any
significant volume.  AFAIK, the Windows-based offerings are still pretty
meager.  (Our own SMTP farm for our hosting service is entirely
Linux-based.)  I know that we have some customers using MailEnable with
good results, but I don't have any personal experience with it.  (Some of
the other L-Soft staff on this list do.)  Other folks on this list may
have other preferences for Windows-based MTAs, if you're wedded to a
Windows infrastructure.

--
Liam Kelly
Senior Consulting Analyst

Read news, tips, and other information in our 'LISTSERV at Work' archives
at <http://www.lsoft.com/news/newsletter-us.asp>.