Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Sep 1993 01:51:18 +0200
On Wed, 15 Sep 1993 15:46:45 PDT "Dwight M. McCann"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>I would  certainly expect that  if we are  paying for a  Program Product
>that effort would be directed to its support, in terms of documentation,
>prior to development of new platforms.

The  only problem,  of course,  is  that 10  sites dropped  out over  the
summer. That's $33,250 we won't collect for sure. At first I thought this
was because people usually wait until  the summer to make major changes -
that 10  sites is  what was  going to be  lost this  year. Unfortunately,
we're in  September and I keep  being informed of impending  removals for
October and November. Aside from the direct impact, people who have plans
to get rid  of VM (meaning 80-90%  of our customers) aren't  going to pay
for LISTSERV if they are not convinced they'll have a VMS or unix version
soon.

>Hell, Eric, contract the documentation for the VM versions out to Ben if
>you're under pressure to develop new code.

Money is not the issue here, and no matter what happens the documentation
will not be written by me, because that's just not something I'm good at,
not to mention efficiency. The problem is  the amount of time I will have
to spend  working with  technical writers rather  than writing  code. The
EARN documentation  plan gave me a  concrete example of what  it takes to
simply proofread a  document written by a technical person  with years of
experience with  the network  and VM,  but who  doesn't know  LISTSERV by
heart. I wrote a thousand lines of mail and spent countless hours reading
and re-reading and re-re-reading and finally realizing it didn't help for
me to  read any more, because  I was too used  to the text and  would not
spot mistakes any  longer. And that's for just one  document of 35 pages,
and again the author was a network expert, if not a LISTSERV expert.

This isn't to  say L-Soft won't write documentation, but  the amount will
depend on  our ability to find  a setup not requiring  the programmers to
spend too  much time working  with technical writers, especially  if they
aren't in  the same  city and  this translates to  thousands of  lines of
mail. We can't allow documentation to slow down development because if we
do, there won't  be anyone willing to buy our  nice documentation when it
is ready :-) And, of course,  "hire more LISTSERV experts" is sooner said
than done.  Most already have  a good job, many  don't want to  work with
documentation, and  technical people in  general are not good  at writing
documentation for users who don't know anything about computers (which is
why L-Soft's documentation coordinator is a  genuine user - you know, the
type  that looks  at  a perfectly  reasonable manual  and  says "This  is
awful!!! I don't understand a thing!!!!!" :-) ).

>Dwight (Another not yet paying customer complains about lack of
>        documentation for a not yet purchased Program Product!)  McCann

Hmm... Maybe I should  point out something. You are not  going to pay for
LISTSERV, but for LISTSERV software  updates and customer assistance. You
got  a free,  indefinite right  to  use license  from me  when you  first
ordered  the software,  valid until  you  leave BITNET  (or until  BITNET
dies).  In other  words,  it's not  fair to  complain  that L-Soft's  top
priority  is not  writing documentation  as soon  as possible  given that
people are now required to pay  for the software, because in this respect
you  are not  a paying  customer. You  will be  paying for  new versions,
between-release  fixes and  customer  assistance,  which logically  would
include documentation updates  (for new functions and the  like), but you
have still not paid for the base product (which would include the initial
documentation). If we charged for the  right to use and everyone paid, we
would collect a  bit less than $2M,  and with that kind of  money I can't
imagine how  we could fail to  convince enough LISTSERV experts  to get a
better job and enough technical writers to  work 25h a day so you can get
the full documentation in 3 months :-)

  Eric