Bill Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 May 2002 09:32:20 -0400
I run three active lists, some of them with subscribers who have been on since
the inception of Listserv in 1986 or 1987.   They aren't always techno-savvy,
some of them are very senior members of my profession.
They have had to put up with arrogant university computing managers modifying
email configurations and domain names (remember bitnet?) without notification
or assistance in changing.   It is my policy as list owner and manager (and
I've been doing this since 1991) that it is much better to remain courteous
and helpful, then suddenly cutting them off.   They may have been warned by
home.com, but that has little to do with me.   Listserv deletes dead addresses
after a period of time anyway.

I put a notice on the list asking subscribers from @home.com to contact me
privately about changing addresses, and giving everyone fair warning on the
list that I would have to do something about it.   It seems to have worked,
and noone's feathers were ruffled.

Bill