Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 13:54:14 CDT
On Sat, 24 Jun 1995 22:55:16 -0400 Trish Forrest said:
>  My position is that Listserv Lists on campus are for the academic
>community, not for individual use for presenting one's habits, providing
>recreation, or a forum for indivdual tastes, etc., I think they can do
>that on usenet. :-)  Listserv currently runs on a machine that probably
>can't take a lot more stress...but that aside, what are your thoughts
>on this issue and have you had such requests at your institution
>from students and what arguments do you use against the trival use
>of listserv...I could use some about now. :-)  Ah!  There is my bias
>showing.  I should also point out that we have a student Listowner, but
>this person runs an internationally popular list related to academia...
>I have no problem with this.

Texas A&M Univerity's policy is that any student, faculty member, or
student orgainization can have a listserv list set up for any reason
so long as:

   The owner is associated with Texas A&M
   The topic is legal (ie. they aren't trying to make money)
   The owner is familiar with Listserv (or willing to learn)

Sending our listserv ([log in to unmask]) a list command will show what
lists we currently support.  Note that Usenet is NOT a viable option;
email discussion lists and BBS message areas do not necessarily serve
the same functions.  There are times when one is more appropriate over
the other.  One simple example is for confidential mailings.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)
http://tamvm1.tamu.edu/~cbarnes/

       Money can't buy happiness; but neither can poverty.