Mon, 4 Jul 2011 23:03:11 -0400
I would recommend that you undertake a bit more research before you go
deleting items in the semi-random manner you describe.  Review the
LISTSERV log to find out what's really going on first.  There may also
be useful information in log files kept by the host operating system.
Check the timestamp on the spool files and look in the logs for entries
just prior to that point.

Ordinarily items that exceed a documented size restriction don't just
get left laying around in the spool directory - they get a specific
notification message to the sender, and are then deleted.  What you're
describing is not expected to occur in normal operations.

If an item exceeds the system capacity, those get stranded in the spool
but you can typically still find something about them in the log.  This
would be something that is so large (or malformed) LISTSERV runs out of
memory while parsing it, for example.

There is a SIZELIM keyword in the list configuration, but I would
encourage you not to run it up to some crazy size wildly - identify what
is really going on first, and determine whether or not you REALLY want
such large items going out to the list population.

There is also a size parameter in the Digest keyword, but this is a
trigger for sending a digest when list traffic accumulates up to the
specified threshold, it is not a limit on how large a digest may be.

It is possible you are experiencing issues which are not related to
list-level parameters at all.  Your system may be suffering from memory
constraints or insufficient disk free space, for example.  But until you
study the picture more closely you won't see the story it is trying to
tell you.