Valdis Kletnieks <$VK0@CLVM>
Wed, 14 Jan 87 14:58:55 EST
If this hits some people twice, I apologize in advance...

I am preparing to purge off the userids from last semster's classes in
preperation for adding this semester's userids.  I have everything in hand
except for the following:

How do I handle the general case of a user being on a mailing list?  I can
go through and clean up my local LISTSERV lists, but  I have no way of doing
anything about lists elsewhere.

I could just field all the mail that goes awry, and have those users punted,
but it is possible that accounts will be re-assigned.  There is a good
likelyhood that if the guy was on a list, and the code is re-assigned, there
may not be any errant mail while the userid doesn't exist.

I am seeing the other end of the problem as well, as userids on my lists
disappear.

Does anybody have a good solution for LISTSERV?  The general case of accounts
going away?  Any half-baked ideas?  I'd like to see some discussion on how
to reduce the amount of bad mailings on the net - I'm seeing about 20 bad
files a day at the present time.

It would be REALLY nice if there was a cross-net registry, but it will never
happen - at least not in the foreseeable future.

                                   Valdis Kletnieks