Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:46:39 -0400
At 12:20 PM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but a subscriber has
>just sent a chain letter to several members (including me) offlist
>saying that if you keep sending the chain letter the American Cancer
>Society will donate 3 cents per person to some account for helping
>some poor fellow get chemo.  The trick is that you have to include
>a particular address every time you send it.
>
>My instincts say:  this is a hoax designed to "get" whoever it is
>on the receiving end of that same address over and over again.

This one screams ****HOAX******
The ACS has a page dealing with it :-)
We get so many of those chain letters that I am now putting the following
text at the beginning of the welcome file:

**HOAXES, VIRUS WARNINGS, SPAM OF ANY TYPE,
INCLUDING SALES, CHAIN LETTERS AND DONATION
REQUESTS, WILL NOT BE TOLERATED ON LISTNAME**

CODE OF CONDUCT

<snip>
Other types of "spam", or mass mailings, will also NOT be
tolerated, including virus warnings, chain letters, and other
hoaxes.

**PLEASE BE ADVISED: Forwarding chain letters,
solicitations, and virus warnings/hoaxes to LISTNAME may result
in your removal from the list!**

If you receive any such messages in your private mail you may
check them out at the following URL's:

Hoaxes:
---------
http://www.av.ibm.com/BreakingNews/HypeAlert/  (mostly