"Stephen W. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 17:08:42 -0400
Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jun 1994 22:53:22 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
> >Many packages, such as Microsoft Mail,  use the "deliver errors to" field
> >for their internal "from" field. So, when people reply, this is where the
> >message goes.
>
> I understand that.  But it wasn't sent from the other site as an error.
> The other site simply sent it to owner-LISTNAME .  *Listserv* made
> it into an error message - apparently it tried to distribute it to
> the list?  Shouldn't Listserv simply have sent it to the owner as
> normal mail?

Chris's description sounds like ours, so hopefully the interpretation
will help someone else.

We regularly told people to contact us at the owner-LISTNAME address
to ensure that it went to all of the owners.  When version 1.8a of
LISTSERV was installed, mail that people sent to that address suddenly
was treated as error reports by LISTSERV (that is, it added a preface
text saying that it looked like an error because it had been delivered
to the owner-LISTNAME address).

One of my co-listowners found the solution -- we now ask people to mail
to LISTNAME-request to get messages to all the listowners.

En paz,
Steve (who reads the digest and apologizes if this duplicates something from
       today that I haven't seen yet)
--
Stephen W. Thompson, U. of PA, Data Administration, 215-898-1236
E-mail (MIME): [log in to unmask] -OR- [log in to unmask]