Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:40:59 -0400
>How can I edit Listserv so that the user does not see this screen when they
>click the link to acknowledge that they want to join the list. This could be
>confusing to some people and if I could prevent them from seeing this or if
>I could edit it, it would help. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Mike Sailer
>

>Command confirmation
>

>Confirming:
>> SUBSCRIBE DATACOM-EQUIPMENT Anonymous WITH NODIGESTS FULLHDR NOACK REPRO
>You have  been added to  the datacom-equipment list. Your  subscription has
>been made anonymous; only the list owner  will be able to see that you have
>joined the list. Please note however  that posting to the list could reveal
>your name and e-mail address. In other words, you can only remain anonymous
>as long as you do not say anything on the list.
>
>Your subscription options have been changed to NODIGESTS FULLHDR NOACK
>REPRO.

I assume that the subscription request is being issued by some kind of
signup script.

I'm not sure which part of the message you find objectionable.  The
"Your subscription has been made anonymous" part of the message can be
eliminated by substituting a made-up name ("Datacom Subscriber" or
whatever) for "Anonymous".

Other than that:

You may wish to have LISTSERV send the user to a web page of your own
devising at this point.  However, LISTSERV handles this part of the
subscription process by calling the LCMD part of the web interface; there
is no specific template associated with this part of the process.  For this
reason there are several restrictions on, and side-effects of, customizing
this part of the subscription process in this way.  Specifically:

A) From the perspective of your subscribers the most important issue is
that the same template will be used for all mailing lists.  Therefore any
customized page you put up will need to be equally applicable for all
mailing lists whose subscriptions might be confirmed using the web
interface.

B) The LCMD part of the web interface is the one that is used when you
click on the 'Execute an arbitrary LISTSERV command' link from the Mailing
List Management or Site Manager part of the web interface.  Therefore if
you use the customizations described in this section these links will no
longer work (since when you click on them it will result in you getting
taken to the customized page you've created).  If you decide to create the
custom page as described below you may wish to remove these links from
these pages, therefore.  (The process for doing this will be described
later.)

C) LCMD is also used when you click on either of the links under "Review
the list membership" in the Account Management portion of the web
interface.  This means that clicking on either link will take you to the
customized page you create.  (If 'by email' is clicked on the list of
subscribers will still be generated and sent by email, however.)  You may
therefore wish to remove these links.  (The procedure for this will
likewise be described later.)

With all that understood, here is how you can change the web page that a
new subscriber is taken to when he or she clicks on the link in the
'confirmation request' email:

I) Create the web page you want to displayed and put it up someplace, say
at http://www.example.com/confirm.html .

II) Modify the LCMD-MAIN template in the site.wwwtpl file so that it only
contains the following redirect:

   URL=http://www.example.com/confirm.html">

The LCMD-MAIN template should be available online at your equivalent of:

        http://listserv.example.com/scripts/wa.exe?TPLED2=SITE&a=LCMD-MAIN&W=1

III) If in addition you wish to remove the now-useless links from the
various management web pages as described in (B) above you can do so as
follows.

The template used to display the main list management page is the LMGT-MAIN
template which should be online at your equivalent of:

        http://listserv.example.com/SCRIPTS/WA.EXE?TPLED2=SITE&a=LMGT-MAIN&W=1

Remove the following lines:

| ><input type=image name=g src="&+LYT_BUTTON;command.gif" border=0 width=100
| height=30 alt="Command"

as well as:

| <dd>This screen allows you to execute an arbitrary LISTSERV command and see
| the results immediately, in your browser window.<p>

The main server management page is contained in the ADMIN-MAIN template,
online at your equivalent of:

        http://listserv.example.com/SCRIPTS/WA.EXE?TPLED2=SITE&a=ADMIN-MAIN&W=1

Remove the following lines:

| <li><a href="&+SCRIPT;?LCMD&+OPTXY;">Execute an arbitrary LISTSERV
| command.</a><p>

The template associated with the account management web page is ACTMGR-MAIN
should be accessible from your equivalent of:

        http://listserv.example.com/SCRIPTS/WA.EXE?TPLED2=SITE&a=ACTMGR-MAIN&W=1

Remove the following lines:

| <center>
| </center>
| <a
| href="&+SCRIPT;?LCMD=REVIEW+&+LISTNAME;+(NOH+MSG+ALL+TOPICS+BY+NAME&p=0&t=&+LISTNAME;+membership&L=&+LISTNAME;&+OPTXY;"
| target=blank>
| in a browser window</a> or
| <a
| href="&+SCRIPT;?LCMD=REVIEW+&+LISTNAME;+(NOH+ALL+TOPICS+BY+NAME&p=0&t=E-mailing+&+LISTNAME;+membership&L=&+LISTNAME;&+OPTXY;"
| target=blank>by e-mail.</a>
| You should avoid using a browser window if the list has more than about 500
| subscribers &#150; it
| will be slow and impractical, and could even crash your browser.

As always be very cautious when modifying these templates and keep a backup
copy of their previous contents.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc