Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:05:15 EST
I received a couple of replies that suggested I didn't do a very good
job of explaining the problem?

The list moved to another site, I deleted everything out of listserv
dealing with the list, kept the machine userid naming the list and
forwarded any mail sent to the "old" list name to the new address.

[log in to unmask] addresses mail to listserv for subscription to a
list that doesn't exist. [log in to unmask] forges
[log in to unmask] as the return address. The mail is going to
smtp, mailer, then listserv. Listserv looks for the list that has been
deleted and can't find it, so mail is sent to [log in to unmask]
stating that the list doesn't exist. Listserv not wanting to disappoint
[log in to unmask], sends the request to the nearest backbone
server (as will happen for anyone that is not a backbone server)
[log in to unmask] has been spoofed and the backbone server spammed.

Under normal circumstances (not a forged address) this would be fine, as
we would want to inform [log in to unmask] that the list no longer
exists. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Okay, recreate the list (which is what I did) with subscription closed.
This prevents the backbone server from getting mail, but listserv still
sends mail back to [log in to unmask]
*** This is what I wish to stop if possible, the cc: going to

Our site is still getting hit, but [log in to unmask] and the backbone
server are no longer bothered. If I could redirect requests for a particular
list to a "holding" area, then delete those files with a quick little exec,
then I'm not even bothered and the spammer/spoofer is just wasting their own
time. A quiet command for the list (like is used for adds/deletions) would
be just the ticket!

Does ListServ 1.8c have provisions for this? Our NT servers will be
running the most current version of Listserv.

I don't think this problem is fully appreciated unless it is happening
to your site... I've gotten one mail message that this is happening at
another site, I'm sure there are others?

Thanks again for any tips/suggestions/comments/etc... There are others
looking for help, please post to the list AND special thanks to those
that have already replied.

Howard

Howard F. Speight, Jr., VM Systems Programmer
East Carolina University, Computing and Information Systems
Austin 107G Greenville, NC 27858-4353