Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:39:07 -0400
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:20:21 +0200, Xander Jansen <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Roger Fajman wrote:
>
> + One problem with LISTSERV stripping of attachments is that it makes no
> + notation in the message headers or body that the message was altered.
>
> Agreed, it would be nice to have an option to make a small note in the
> message about the type and size and perhaps the content-description of the
> attachments stripped, something like what Pine does. Pine has the ability
> to save multipart messages without selected MIME-bodyparts, these are
> replaced with a dummy bodypart like below:

Note that technically, it's *very* hard to delete a bodypart *and* insert
a notation into the *body* and have it Do The Right Thing.  Placing the
text before the first part or after the last part will probably be invisible
to a MIME-aware mail program (that's where a lot of things put their
"This message is in MIME format - if you see this text, consider upgrading"
warnings).

Putting it into an existing bodypart is dangerous - it may not even be
a text/plain (users may object to their spreadsheet being corrupted by
insertion of arbitrary data.  Or it may be a multipart/signed like this
one, where insertion of data may result in invalidating a digital signature.

ON the other hand, I'd welcome Listserv adding a header to the main
RFC822 headers of the form:

or some similar.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks