Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Oct 2012 17:44:42 -0400
On 10/1/2012 2:21 PM, Margaret King wrote:
> I agree with others that we probably do not understand what this
> person is trying to do.

If I understand the original question correctly, the suggested solution to
create a sub-list and move the restricted subscribers to the sub-list would seem
to be a reasonable solution.

> Interestingly I note that Listserv will let me save a header with a
> line in it like this:
>
> Notebook= Yes,/some/dir/test-1,Monthly,(test-2)
>
> where test-1 is the list the header belongs to and test-2 is some
> other list. I did not take time to test this to make sure it does what
> I presume it does, and it does involve multiple lists, but not
> sub-lists. In this scenario presumably the "trusted" or "seasoned"
> people would need to be on both lists.

It appears that the OP wants the restricted subscribers to receive messages
posted to the existing list (OLD), but does not want them to be able to access
the list archives. Moving the restricted subscribers to a new list (NEW) and
identifying NEW as a sub-list of OLD will achieve the desired results.
Presumably, access to the OLD archives is currently restricted to the
subscribers on that list. If that is the case, there is no need to make any
changes to the 'Notebook=' statement in the OLD configuration in order to
prevent access to the archives by the subscribers on NEW.

The sole reason for the existence of NEW is to allow NEW subscribers to receive
postings sent to OLD, while preventing NEW subscribers from accessing the OLD
archives. The subscribers who are supposed to receive messages, but are not
supposed to be able to access the archives need to be removed from OLD and added
to NEW. No changes are necessary for trusted/seasoned subscribers.

> But in any case keeping people out of the archives won't keep them out
> of the web interface and "subscriber's corner".

That's true, but I don't think that is the OP's intent. If I understand the
original question correctly, the OP simply wants to prevent a subset of
subscribers on a specific list from accessing the archives of that list.

Another way to do this might be to change the 'Notebook=' setting to allow
access to the archives only by the list editors, then set the 'editor' option
for each "seasoned" subscriber but not for any of the "restricted" subscribers.
Personally, I prefer the superlist/sublist solution because it requires less
digging into the list configuration and individual subscriber options in order
to deal with questions/problems from the restricted subset of subscribers.

--
Paul Russell