Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:46:45 EST
We have started to use the New-list option to aid in moving our lists
to a new server.  We have found that when the list header is reduced to
the New-list and Owner options on the old machine, lists that are
Confidential=Service are now being advertised globally from the old
machine.  This is contrary to what the 1.8b release notes say.  Here's
the relevant passage:

* Usability: New option to facilitate list relocation *

When relocating a  LISTSERV list from one system to  another, you can now
instruct the  LISTSERV running the old  list to forward all  commands and
postings to  the new address,  and return  an explanatory message  to the
sender with instructions for using the  new address. This is done through
the "New-List=" keyword. Simply add  "New-List= [log in to unmask]" to the old
list header, and store the list. Once you insert the "New-List=" keyword,
all commands except PUT will be  forwarded to the new host. LISTSERV will
also stop  advertising the old list  (as if you had  added "Confidential=
Yes")  so that  all  subscription  requests are  sent  to  the new  host.
Finally,  you  will  be  required  to  strip the  list  of  most  of  its
configuration keywords  before you can  store it back with  a "New-List="
keyword, to  reflect the  fact that  the list no  longer exists  and that
these keywords have no effect.