Jean Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:27:06 -0500
I'm with Landy on this one, though no one's so far dinging me on this
issue.

This may be the way Listserv's always worked and for all the reasons
Francoise mentioned, worked well.  But maybe it's time for a change.
I've been working with Listserv since 1986, and this behavior only started
causing widespread problems since Sobig and subsequent viruses started
hitting us all.

My major problem with how Listserv deals with non-subscriber attempts to
post or whatever (other than all the extra mail I have to delete as a
listowner) is questions from concerned listowners.

I hate to tell them to just ignore their monitor reports: it might be a
forward or one of the other situations Francoise wrote about.  But
nowdays, chances are that it is a spam/virus and there is nothing they can
or should do about it.  It's hard to justify these spurious 'bounces' to
non-technical users, ie. most of our listowners.

--
Jean Snow  Production Systems Support
Enterprise Information Technology Services