Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:07:40 -0500
> I just keep being told that we are held to a higher standard than
> other lists on the web!

A mailing list may have a related web page, but the list itself is
not "on the web". The web is not the Internet, even though it may be
the most highly visible portion of the Internet, and the increasing
use of the term "the web" to refer to anything and everything on the
Internet simply makes our job harder. Try working your site's Help
Desk for a day, taking calls from users who report that they cannot
read their email, open the spreadsheets they created yesterday, or
reach their favorite web sites, when the real problem is that their
computers won't boot, and you will understand why proper usage of
technical terminology is essential for effective communication in a
technical environment.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator