CERN Eric Thomas <ERIC@CEARN>
Sun, 13 Sep 1987 17:22 GVA
  A  new  package,   MCSERVE,  is  now  available  from   LCOORD  FILELIST  on
[log in to unmask] MCSERVE  stands for  "Micro-Computer Server" and  implements a
new /GET  command. MCSERVE  is an  alternative to  file servers  like PCSERVE,
MACSERVE, KERMSRV,  etc. It is not  as "integrated" as these  file servers but
allows you to use the full power  of LISTSERV's file server functions. You can
for example define peered filelists to provide  the same files on a network of
LISTSERVs running MCSERVE and let file owners maintain their files themselves.
Users can AFD/FUI  to the files provided they learn  the LISTSERV syntax (/GET
will tell  them into which  LISTSERV fileid the  file they requested  has been
mapped).

  This  package  is  only  a  "first  version"  and  I'm  sure  it  can  stand
improvement. I don't have a microcomputer and  have no idea of how the various
KERMSRVs work  and what kind  of file they provide,  but I'm sure  you'll have
interesting suggestions.

  Eric