Mon, 24 Feb 1992 16:01:35 CST
>  I've asked this concurrent update question in the past.
>  Many thanks to those who have responded.
>
> [conncurency problems with using LISTSERV as a source control system.]
>  We want to use Listserv as a tool for documentation, but
>  with no guarantee of data loss, it can't be used.

It sounds to me like what you really want is a network accessible
library control system. One other solution is Kent Chamberlain's
*superb* library control system called LIB, available on the VM
Workshop tapes or directly from him at Prestolite Electric.

LIB allows checkout of a document, browsing, and update (with
optional approval required) of files stored on a disk. It does
all it's access via IUCV connections, and is blindingly fast.

If you don't have a heavily distributed environment, then
assuming you can have the people who need to read and update this
stuff on one system, or a system that supports IUCV routing (like
a TSAF complex), LIB might suit your needs a little better.

You might also want to look into providing this info via a
service like Gopher.