Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:03:08 -0400
At 09:42 AM 8/14/2006 -0400, Jeff Kiesel wrote:
>Nathan -
>
>That's exactly what we're talking about.  The OOOs sent to the list are
>being filtered out.  But when the poster posts to the list, they are hit
>with OOOs directly from other recipients.
>
>There must be a way to fix this...

Unfortunately, I know of none.  There is no standard for OOO,
therefore there is no definition of, say, a particular header that
LISTSERV could provide that would prevent the recipient MTA from
sending the OOO back, or again say, some header provided by the
recipient MTA for all OOO that you could key on to filter it out.

If everybody could agree on a standard way to identify mail as OOO,
we'd be a lot closer to a solution.  If you look back through the
archives of this list and of LSTOWN-L I'm pretty sure you'll see this
same complaint going back quite a number of years.  Everybody talks
about the problem but the people who actually have control over OOO
(ie, the MTA vendors whose MTAs generate the OOO in the first place)
do nothing to help solve it.

Nathan