Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:53:27 -0400
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:55:53 EDT, Sheree Englehardt said:
> Thanks Valdis... that link was so funny.  We have a 10 acre corn maize in
> FL that I am working with.  I can relate. We had to call 911 for a kid that
> passed out from an asthma attack.  Why did they go in a corn field without
> his inhaler?  LOL!

Off topic, but I can tell you why they didn't have their inhaler.  It was one or
more of the following:

1) It was in the purse/backpack/whatever they left in the car totally
accidentally.
2) It got left in the car because they figured they'd be within 2 minutes of it
the whole time.
3) It got left at home because the kid's asthma was well-controlled with daily
meds and they thought they knew all the triggers the kid had, and encountered a
new one in the corn field.
4) The kid is usually responsible during day-to-day stuff, but got excited by
the outing and forgot.

(Can you tell I've seen all of the above while working with the Boy Scouts? :)

Off-off-topic: You think an attack in a cornfield is bad, it could be worse.
When I take my Scout troop on the trail, we always have a check at the
trailhead that those who need inhalers or Epi-pens have them and that both they
and I know where they are.  8 miles from the nearest road is *not* where you
want to be fumbling around looking for the Epi-pen.