Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 18 Feb 88 19:39:00 SET
I have eventually met the Higher Management. They are considering hiring me to
produce  a simplified  version  of the  Magic  Libram I  had  mentioned in  my
previous note, and to provide some amount of Magic Training to my colleague so
she can quickly become competent enough  to maintain the software I wrote. The
only difference with their former 'project' is that I managed to convince them
that this isn't  going to magically solve  the problem, and will  only help in
'easy' cases, "but  then that's better than nothing" they  said. My impression
is that this conviction will wear off in a few weeks, but nevermind. They took
back all  keys from  me, and  said I wouldn't  be allowed  to work  during the
weekend  any more,  and then  only in  the user's  room, although  "this could
perhaps be  re-considered later".  What is  certain is I  won't have  time nor
desire to prepare any kind of document during weekdays in the overcrowded user
room  where you  have to  file  the queue  to  get yourself  a terminal.  Well
needless to say I wasn't very pleased  and set up my price relatively high (ie
"unthinkably high for an unexperienced beginner" in their own scale, but since
the duration of the  work is very short I am confident that  they can find the
money if they do want to).  The Managers are presently "considering" the offer
and will produce a return code shortly.

Meanwhile  I'll  be off  tomorrow  and  all of  next  week  because of  exams,
mandatory courses and similarly rejoicing  activities. When I come back ERIC's
password might have been changed if  the management's return code was nonzero,
but the  account will  be kept  alive anyway  since they  have decided  not to
remove my  software and  they'll therefore  need it  for maintenance.  This is
satisfactory as it implies  that I'll be able to have  my mail forwarded later
without problem.

All of this to tell you that in  the future, I will probably appear more often
on ERIC@PASTEUR (5 min  from home) or ERIC@FRULM11 (20 min  from home) than on
ERIC@FRECP11 (1h15  from home). I would  like to express my  deepest thanks to
Stephane Accart and Bernard Caudron, who  have kindly accepted to create guest
accounts for me on  their nodes and to take up  all the important distribution
lists  held at  FRECP11,  thus  preventing a  possible  disruption of  traffic
(although it would now seem that LISTSERV@FRECP11 will stay alive, this wasn't
all that obvious at the beginning).

A final  note: I  can retrieve  the stuff  in the  reader of  ERIC@FRECP11 and
ERIC@CEARN from either account. I will  set up ERIC@FRULM11 likewise the first
time I use it, but presently I can't pick up anything from its reader. However
mail in the  reader of ERIC@PASTEUR can't be summoned  from anywhere (that's a
HASP-connected ASCII machine, and what mail and message service it provides is
already  astonishing considering  the primitive  link protocol  that is  being
used). I would  say that at present it  would be best to keep  sending mail to
ERIC@FRECP11, and  if it suddenly  disappears, just  send mail to  PASTEUR and
binaries to FRULM11. Also, please note that PASTEUR cannot process print files
(it does support NETDATA so that's not a problem) - this implies that LISTSERV
console logs  can't be retagged  there. I plan to  use PASTEUR for  mail since
it's on my regular way back home, and  FRULM11 only when access to a VM system
is required.

Cheers, Eric