Mon, 5 Jul 1993 20:38:57 CDT
> What I would suggest is have them do a UNSUB (NETWIDE, and collect the
> list names (and addresses that they were subscribed to).  I'll also
> have the side benifit of showing them the lists that are inactive that
> they were subscribed to.
> Chris Barnes            |   President - Bryan/College Station

You don't need to do this.

If you plan this a bit, it'll be relatively painless. First, if
your mail agents aren't configured to force a domain name on all
outgoing mail, do that now. Nothing should leave your machine
with a NJE node name from now until you switch off the NJE
connection. You may want to disable or modify TELL to remind
people that it won't work after a certain date, but that's
optional.

At least one routing table cycle before you leave BITNET, add a
:newnode. tag with your Internet address to your BITEARN NODES
entry. When this gets distributed, all the Revised LISTSERVs are
smart enough to change the address automatically. Make sure you
already have a :internet. tag, too.  The :newnode tag disallows
any further subscriptions from the old address using TELL or
bozos sending files.

In the next routing table cycle, you can then delete your node.
This method won't catch all the stupid Unix LISTSERV wannabees,
but you'd have that problem anyway, and it'll catch a lot of
them.