Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:12:29 -0400
You probably want to use the PRIME keyword to prevent the large lists
from becoming active during the time when other traffic is more
important, like allow the large lists to run only between 9 and 10 in
the evening. Of course, this kinda cranks down the potential for
"discussion" but it sounds like the larger ones you have are mostly
one-way type traffic.

Some of what you describe sounds a lot like the message was really just
too big and was being refused, or returned as non-deliverable, by some
sites - so LISTSERV was generating PROBE traffic to detect if the
failures were transient or persistent, and the PROBE items can be even
bigger than the original message (a somewhat self-perpetuating scenario
that can continue for days and days).  Check the daily error report for
the list to see if it has dozens or hundreds of subscribers newly
listed. Or do some investigating in the log details, but that might be
more trouble than you're willing to take.  Other than preventing huge
messages from going through your lists, I don't know any way to avoid
this headache.  Setting a SIZELIM keyword value quite a bit smaller than
the size of the recent bothersome message is probably a good idea.

If your newsletter publishers then complain that they can't get their
items distributed, suggest that they multiply publication frequency and
divide the number of articles per issue (instead of monthly, every two
weeks, for example).  Or leave out all the pretty pictures, supply links
instead.