Zvika Bar-Deroma <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Dec 1990 20:45:05 IST
Hi,
I've read  your announcement to  NEW-LIST of the info-gnu-msdos  list (I
think that the list could be  rather interesting). What worries me a lot
is  the  fact  that  you  decided to  call  your  LISTSERVER's  username
LISTSERV. I  think that most people  might get confused, and  think that
it's "THE"  LISTSERV (written  by Eric Thomas,  currently <ERIC@SEARN>).
It's not a  question of "honor" (I  don't think it's ethical  to use the
same name,  but I'm not the  ethics-supervisor; as for copyrights  - I'm
not certain), but a practical question.  A whole network (BITNET and the
associated NETNORTH and EARN) are using LISTSERV and a derivative of it,
and they  have many commands,  and the syntax  (and even name)  of these
commands  is  different  from yours.  I believe  that the  best solution
would be that  you change the username of your  listserver. I'm appending
the help  files of your  listserver, for the  benefit of the  readers of
LSTSRV-L (the  mailing list for  discussion of LISTSERV issues)  to whom
I'm  sending a  copy  of this  message,  as I  believe  they might  have
interest in this matter.

Regards,
/Zvika