"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Sep 1992 09:58:01 EDT
On Fri, 4 Sep 1992 22:22:50 EST Jim Jones said:

> Again, if I'm right... the answer here is "yes and no".  There is
> a facility for managing lists that you aren't using, but it doesn't
> have anything to do with mail delivery errors.  Someone mentioned
> getting an AI grad student to develop a package to remove people from
> mailing list in response to mail delivery errors (was it the renowned
> Mr. Williams perhaps?).  But as the suggestion was made in jest to
> point out the horrific difficulty in actually creating something like
> that, I don't think there's such a beast already in LISTEARN.

The suggestion was by the honorable Mr Pritchett of Ga.  Having
done the code for LISTDEL, I can tell you that this is no easy task.
In some cases, I have just given up, and manually search the list.
Some of the gateways just throw too much junk in to identify
the address in error.  In some sense, given that the facility
would have access to the subscribers, it would be an interesting
AI experiment in almost natural language support.

/ahw