Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:05:18 -0400
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Margaret J. Brandt wrote:

> I received an e-mail today from an address on my server that does not
> exist.  I need to be able to explain to folks around here, that this
> is not one of our users, but a spoofed address.  It looked like this:

There's little that can be done to stop spoofed messages from being sent
to lists, but much can be done to keep unwanted messages from being
distributed by Listserv. The best way to filter out spoofed addresses (but
not foolproof) is to make sure your lists request confirmation for
subscriptions if they're opened and allow only subscribers to post
messages to lists.