"Brenneman, Jake (MSNBCi)" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:24:28 -0700
Thanks Doug -
I'm aware of this method, but unfortunately, It doesn't seem to work for
either LSMTP or LISTSERV (or many other processes on my Win2K server.  Even
though I'm an Admin, I get Access Denied errors for most processes.  Also,
I'm pretty sure that setting affinity this way is only effective until the
next reboot, ie. its not permanent.
I was hoping there might be a registry key, or startup script out there that
let you configure the process to always start up using a particular
processor.  I believe this would help with my system at least, if I could
tell LSMTP to use a different processor than LSV....

Also unfortunate is that the MS KB has very little info on this process

-----Original Message-----
From: Wheeler, Doug (NTC) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 6:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Processor affinity?

Jake,
from the Windows & .net website (http://www.winnetmag.com/) :

This is called processor affinity where you set a process to use a specific
processor on a multi-processor system.

Start Task Manager (Right click on the task bar and select Task Manager)
Click the Processes tab Right click on the program and select "Set Affinity"
You can check the processors you want the program to run on (uncheck the
ones you don't want it to use) You cannot set affinity for a service, or set
affinity for a program which has not yet been started.

Doug

Doug Wheeler
Sr. Technical Analyst - Information Resources
Neenah Technical Center
Georgia-Pacific Corporation
email : mailto:[log in to unmask]
voice : 920.729.8178 fax : 920.729.8164