Gary Sponseller <SPONSELL@AKRONVM>
Mon, 17 Apr 89 12:14:17 EDT
>How do the various LISTSERVs learn about changes to a node's
>administration?

They install a current BITEARN NODES file each month (from update files).

>As of February 1989 I became our site's :contact and :techrep,
>but attempting to do a NETWIDE delete on behalf of a user that is
>no longer affiliated with our site yielded messages of the form:
>

>    You are not a registered NAD (Node Administrator)
>    for node  CANISIUS. The NAD for  node CANISIUS is
>
>The SZYMENDE account was obviously the previous NAD's account (not
>the user I was attempting to DELETE).  As an aside, however, one
>of the LISTSERVs reported that the NAD is an account named MAINT,
>which has never existed at my site.
>
>What do I need to do to correct this situation?

Unfortunately, you cannot do anything yourself.  The sites that reject
you as the NAD are using an outdated BITEARN NODES file (so their Listser
thinks that the previous NAD is still current).  The MAINT@node is Listserv's
default NAD address if it cannot access BITEARN NODES information to validate
the real NAD address.

For example, LISTSERV at UICVM shows a BITEARN NODES of 4/23/87!  I will be
BITSENDing them my current file in the next day or so...
All Listservs *should* be current, if not close to it.
Also, if any Listserv is not rebooted after the monthly update to its
BITEARN NODES file, it will reject your NAD requests.  8-(

Let Listserv Postmasters know that their Bitearn Nodes file is outdated
or not accessible by the server!  It's the only way to honor your NAD
requests on their servers.

>Larry Deni

Gary