Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 15:49:50 -0400
Hello:

Every now and then, as LISTSERV postmaster, I get a bounced message
containing a message that my LISTSERV sent to another LISTSERV and it
bounced for whatever reason.  Invariably, these messages are encoded JOB
messages of some kind.  What I was wondering is.... what is the coding
used here and is there any reference for it.  I'm guessing that it's
BASE64, but then the next part of the question gets to my real purpose in
writing:

Is it possible to use this JOB encoding to send LISTSERV a message with
8th bit characters in it (i.e. ISO 8859-1) that is a file to be stored in
the archives of LISTX-L.  Normal 7 bit files can be put with the standard
PUT FILENAME FILETYPE LISTNAME [options] PW=XXXXX format, but the
LISTSERV I've been working with chokes on 8 bit files, even if they are
sent without any encoding like BASE64 or QUOTABLE-PRINTABLE.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark Hunnibell                  Email: [log in to unmask]
KIDLINK Gopher/WWW Coordinator  http://www.connix.com/~markh/index.html