Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 08:35:43 CST
On Thu, 10 Feb 1994 23:27:55 GMT John W. Redelfs said:
>I've noticed that the number of nodes in the PEERS database is down from
>last year, and I know of a number of Listserv lists that are being moved to
>other platforms.  Why is this happening?  The new setups don't work as well

   It has much more to do with the systems where LISTSERV is running
being removed rather than any problem with LISTSERV.  Up until now LISTSERV
has run on a "mainframe" platform which current fashion has labelled as
passe or "old fashioned".  Many sites are getting rid of these systems.

   However, the proof is in the performance that you do tend to get
what you pay for.  ;-)

   The good news is that L-Soft, the company that sells LISTSERV, is porting
it to other platforms so similar facilities will be available.  How those
other platforms will perform with hundreds of thousands of mail messages
a day is probably still an open question.

      Marty   (these are obviously my own opinions!)