Nevena Soskic <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:18:52 +0100
Jacob Haller wrote:

> >Hi
> >
> >I'm trying to insert some text into teh following templates for
> >autoresponders:
> >
> >post_editor
> >postack1
> >
> >The problem is, that when I receive the autoresponse back from Listserv,
> >the text is in one block, rather than formatted and with line breaks as
> >I inserted it.
> >
> >What could be the problem?
>
> They are linear templates.  Here's the relevent quotes from the
> documentation (I'm reading the Site Manager's Guide):
>
> | In a linear message, most special instructions are ignored. This is
> | because the contents of the template form are just a few lines out of a
> | larger message that is being prepared by LISTSERV to contain the reply
> | to the user's command(s). For instance, you do not have any control over
> | the "Reply-To:" field of the message, because the message in question is
> | shared with other commands and, in fact, may not be a mail message at
> | all but an interactive message to the user's terminal, a GUI request,
> | etc. Generally speaking, with a linear message you are providing the
> | TEXT of the reply to be shown to the user, but you do not have any
> | control over the methods used for delivering this information.
>
> In a seperate section, I see:
>
> | Note that you cannot format the SUB_OWNER template; it all comes out as
> | one long paragraph without formatting no matter what you do, because it
> | is a "linear" template.  But you should modify it from the default to
> | let people know that they will receive a questionnaire to be filled out
> | and returned.
>
> Finally:
>
> | - POST_EDITOR (linear): this is the message LISTSERV sends to people
> |   attempting to post to the list, if it is moderated. The default is
> |   "Your &MESSAGE has been submitted to the moderator of the &LISTNAME
> |   list: &MBX(&MODERATOR)."
>
> POSTACK1 is apparently also a linear template, though I'm having
> trouble tracking this down in the manual.
> --
> Jacob Haller, Technical Support
> L-Soft international, Inc
> http://www.lsoft.com/

Is there really no way of doing it?  We're trying to set up an auto
responder message within an announce only listserv list? An auto
responder needs to be sent to the user when they try to reply back.
It's quite critical that we can control the format of the message we
send back.

The list headers are below:
Confidential= Yes
Review= Owner
Subscription= Closed
Confirm-Delay= 72
Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm
Editor= [log in to unmask]
Notify= No
Reply-to=
Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(0),Max(1)
Files= No
Stats= Normal,Owner
Validate= Yes,Confirm
Notebook= No
Ack= Msg
X-Tags= Yes
SizeLim= 500
Daily-Threshold= 1
Digest= No
and usual sender and owner email details...

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Regards