Harri Salminen <LK-HS@FINHUTC>
Sun, 21 Sep 86 23:15:18 FIN

  I have distributed ARPA lists and digest first with Ricky's listserv
(with extensive local modifications) and now with Eric's Revised one.
I've now about 50 lists of which maybe 23 come from arpa and
the rest from all over bitnic, also some local Finnish lists too.
There's a evergrowing interest for ARPA lists and I have tried to
subscribe every list that somebody in Finland wants to have. Some
of the lists are very quiet, some subscriptions might also have failed
or ceased somehow... Other's have huge volumes like INFO-ATARI16 &
SF-LOVERS and help reduce network load a lot.
  I like very much of the idea of having as many as possible peer distribution
lists for them so I would get less subscriptions from all over Europe & U.S.
(at present I reject non-european subscribers to reduce net load).
  Decentralised entry list's are a very good idea. I've been many times
thinking to subscribe to EVERY possible  ARPA, BITNET, UUCP etc. mailing
list but it'd require some effort to handle subscriptions to originals etc.
This would need a decentralised editing of possible Unidentified File
Objects flying around. I don't get much rejection mail these days, thanks
to Eric's numerous modifications after my problem reports. Also list headers
along with full description (try TELL LISTSERV AT FINHUTC LIST LONG...)
could be done only once and redistributed, maybe even a list for new listheader
s and lists to be added... When the listserv will verify that headers are legal
and if not simply put it in the body of a new letter there will be no rejection
mail from OUR mailer or listserv at least...
  Updating and adding new lists should be as automatic as possible to be
able to rival GRAND. Does grand even support users behind strange gateways,
local networks and x400 systems??? They'll have to write interfaces for
Unix & VMS machines behind UREP, TCP/IP, JNET at least. Anyway, I'll
be intrested to install GRAND too when it becomes available...

Harri