Laura Toms <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 17:25:46 -0500
> /var/spool/listserv is  probably your  LISTSERV spool directory  (you set
> its location in the makefile when  installing the code, so it varies from
> one system  to another). The  *.error files are  files that could  not be
> processed successfully.  They're here so that  you can retry them  if the
> problem is due to a configuration  error, for instance. Sometimes you get
> a truncated  file from the network  and you can't do  anything with them.
> You should be able to view these  files with the jobview utility. The tmp
> directory contains temporary  files that can be safely erased  as long as
> LISTSERV is  not running. The  contents of the  directory at the  time of
> failure may provide a  helpful hint as to what happened,  and so does the
> main LISTSERV  log (which unfortunately may  not be available if  you run
> the server  interactively). In  other words  I need to  know what  it was
> doing when  it hung. On  unixes without a  journaled file system,  the #1
> cause of weird  loops or crashes is  a corrupted or missing  file after a
> system crash, so  I would advise making frequent backups  of the lsv/home
> subdirectory (or the whole system for that matter).

Right on /var/spool/listserv.  I used jobview but didn't find anything
noteworthy.  I restarted listserv in the background so that next time
this happens, I'll have the info for you.  In the meantime, what I found
the last two times I killed listserv and cleaned out lsv/tmp was the
same file, wish I could remember the name (started with a C as I recall).

Thanks for the assistance.  I'll be back when it happens again!

= Laura Toms * UNIX Systems Administrator and Postmaster * (614) 761-5016 =
=      Online Computer Library Center, Dublin, Ohio * [log in to unmask]      =