"Glenn A. Malling" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 13:32:36 -0500
> Is there any way to flush a digest out?  The disk pack that listserv
> resides on crashed a few days ago and listserv had to be restored.
> The log disk had to be re-restored but in the meantime some new digest
> got on the empty disk.  I tried to append them to the restored one
> later.  But now at least one list is not sending out the daily digest.
> I must have goofed. Any ideas? Thanks.

I ran into a similar/identical situation when I moved LISTSERV
from VM to *ix.  It seems as though the part of LISTSERV that sends
digests only "knows" that the digest file is there if and only if
LISTSERV created that file.  At the same time the part of LISTSERV
that adds posts to the digest doesn't care who created the file.
I had copied current digest files from VM to *ix and later noticed
that they were not being sent on schedule and were just growing
larger.

I got out of it by setting a *small* digest size limit on all lists
in this state.  LISTSERV encountered the limit, forced out a "special
issue" of the digest, and created the new digest file.  After removing
or resetting the digest size limit the list and its digests returned
to normal behaviour.

I don't doubt that there's something in one of LISTSERV's control
files that could be tweaked but ...

-----
Glenn A. Malling <[log in to unmask]>
Syracuse University Computing Services   +1 (315) 443-4111
220 Machinery Hall  Syracuse, New York 13244-1260

Postmaster for SUnix and LISTSERV.