"A. Harry Williams" <HARRY@MARIST>
Sun, 22 Feb 87 11:55:32 EST
I think the recent attack on Bill Rubin is totally uncalled for.  Bill
has always been one of those for reducing network load.  He was one of
the people working to get the default file tranfer type changed from
DISK DUMP to NETDATA recently.

  The fact that CUNY has a 3090 is totally irrelevant.  They have a 3090
because they need a 3090.  Unless you have seen their performance statistics,
you are not qualified to answer whether or not they are able to afford the
extra resources to run DISTRIBUTE.

  I think it would be good to have CUNYVM run DISTRIBUTE for some of the
reasons David mentioned, but at this time, I'm happy to have them running
the LISTSERV code.  We maybe able to convince them in the future to enable
the DISTRIBUTE feature.  Enabling that feature will probably be a lot
sell job than running LISTSERV to run the DISTRIBUTE.  Now that they have it,
they can evaluate it and come to a rational decision.  Personal attacks
may just convince them to not run LISTSERV at all.

I find this very ironic since Bill is chairing the technical session at
the pre-SHARE meeting about load balancing on the system.

Sorry for this long tirade, but it irks me when people complain about
any volunteer's effort not being good enough.  The fact that they volunteered
in the first place shows some kind of commitment.  Since they(CUNY) are not
being paid for this, you don't motivate them to volunteer more by yelling at
them.  Given CUNY's long history of working for Bitnet, I find the whole
situation sickening.

Harry