Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Mon, 29 Sep 1986 22:44 SET
  I am pleased to announce that the relayed distribution paraphernalia seems to
be working perfectly. I will improve the <PUT> command tomorrow (Harold reques-
ted that I change it to be able to put files on a disk ^= A-disk) and write the
1.5 docs ( :-(  ). I should then  be able to ship  the thing. As a  test I will
delay distribution of  the source files and will use  the DISTRIBUTE command to
send them -- I think that will be a good test. Now if you really need the sour-
ce files before enough  nodes have installed V1.5 for me  to use the DISTRIBUTE
command, I'll send them immediately -- just  send me a note (now) in that case.

  I'll write a memo about the DISTRIBUTE command and include it in the package.
I intend  to use it  in the following version  to distribute LISTSERV  mail, ie
when you  send mail to  LISTSERV it will execute  a DISTRIBUTE MAIL  command to
itself and  all the servers in  the network will participate,  even though they
don't have a peer  list :-) Unfortunately that means that if  a server is down,
mail might be held until it comes back up. But I think 50% network load savings
is really worth  it. Similarly, DISTRIBUTE will be used  for non-mail distribu-
tion.

  Eric