Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:45:31 +1100

> real memory is 1 GB (virtual memory is 2 GB). there is about
> 5 GB diskspace
> left on the system disk and 50 GB on the archive-disk.
> it takes about 5 minutes until the real memory is filled up
> and then the machine goes into paging/swapping.

Are the system and archive disks physically seperate?  Or are they
logical drives on one large one?  Also, is the 2GB vm spread across both
disks?  Windows gets very unhappy if the ratio between swapfile size and
free disk space is too small so if your virtual memory is 2GB on the
system disk only this *may* be part of your problem.  Try making 2GB
swapfiles available on *each* disk (if they are physically seperate),
effectively increasing total virtual memory to 4GB.  For optimum
performance under Windows, it's been suggested to me that virtual memory
should be 4x real memory.

If that doesn't fix your problem then I guess you'll have to start
looking for files that Windows has locked and won't release to LISTSERV.
I'm not familiar with HPO but I seem to recall reading somewhere that a
broken archive or index may also cause similar problems.  Anyone else
got ideas?

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.