Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:20:11 -0500
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Michael Shannon wrote:

> Otherwise, the answer is 'no', there isn't a global command to alter
> addresses in the headers of multiple lists.  You would have to hand-edit
> each header to effect the change.  Unfortuantely, you can't even set up
> a script that parses the raw .LIST files as LISTSERV stores them in a
> special binary format.  Any tampering by external means will cause them
> to be non-operational (this I learned the *hard* way).

Your idea to register the old domain name as an alias for the new domain
name is good, but I disagree with what you said in the previous paragraph.
Anyone who knows a bit of scripting can easily write a script to change
both the headers and the addresses in all the lists on a Listserv. The
catch is that the Listserv software has to be shut down at the time the
script is run. The script also has to be sure not to mess with the
placement of each subscription's options codes. The "listview" utility can
be invoked programmatically to dump out each list's file into text format,
then overwrite the original list's file. Again, do this only with the
Listserv shut down and also do a full backup of the server first. This
shouldn't be a major big deal.