Jose Maria Blasco Comellas <ZCCBJBC@EB0UB011>
Sun, 31 May 87 05:09:43 HOE
Hopefully it  seems that  my userid is  still here, and  by night  EB0UB011 is
staff-free ( :-) ),  so that I'll try to raise what I  find an important topic
before leaving. I would  have liked to speak of that some  time after 1.5j was
distributed, but that's possibly my last access to the net for some time.

Now that LISTSERV  1.5j is to be  released soon, we'll be able  to have peered
filelists at will. I think it would be  time to try to organize all the actual
mess of  servers there is  on the net. Last  year, when I  started discovering
EARN and BITNET, I  spent about two months of my extra time  to find what were
the servers, what did  they contain, etc (see Chris Condon's  work on that and
ask him if you  don't believe me :-)). Each server has  a different syntax and
offers different services;  most of them don't have  internet capabilities and
the format of their directories is seldom informative. Now with LISTSERV these
services can be migrated with great  advantage (some of them already have done
the migration,  eg TCSSERVE).  But I  feel that migrating  to LISTSERV  is not
sufficient.  What I'd  like to  see is  a standarized  set of  well documented
listserv filelists,  one for  each topic  (possibly with some  sons in  a tree
structure). For  example, there could  be a  REXXUTIL FILELIST with  all those
nice utilities  that operate on REXX  programs (like REXXCOMP et  al), another
(this one probably forming a tree  structure) for Kermit programs, another for
VM  SYSPROGS, etc.  All  those filelists  could be  peered  between the  sites
willing to host a  copy; a central directory of what  filelists will exist and
where can they  be found should be  maintained (and probably an  extract of it
could replace the actual fileserver section of BITNET SERVERS).

Some  trivial user  exits to  redirect  GETs to  the nearest  server could  be
written to reduce  traffic; and perhaps also an approach  like Eric's one with
PEERS FILELIST  could be taken: we  could define a 'server  backbone' (perhaps
different from  the actual backbone) and  store *all* the directories  on each
server, along with  information about where the real stuff  is hosted for each
filelist. Then every server in the  backbone will virtually offer the complete
library while  hosting only a part  of it; users  will be able to  request any
file in  the standard library  (which will be  huge) without having  to search
every server and will  almost not notice if the file  they were requesting was
or not physically in the server they sent their command to.

I realize all that would represent an  *enormous* lot of work (one of the most
boring  parts  of  it  being  contacting  file  owners,  getting  permissions,
explaining how to  remotely maintain the files, etc), but  I'm sure there will
be people disposed to give part of their time to this project. I'm afraid this
won't work without a serious coordination tho.

That's one  of my  dreams. I'm  sure that if  someone shares  it I'll  find it
started when I'll be back on the net, thanks to the good work of all of you.

Jose Maria