"John S. Fisher" <FISHER@RPICICGE>
Fri, 11 Dec 87 13:04:02 EDT
A new mailing list named PCSERV-L has been created.  It's purpose:

     PCSERV-L is for the discussion of host-based tools and file
     servers that deal with microcomputer software.  It is targeted
     more towards the maintainers and providers rather than the
     end-users.

My reasons for setting up the list are mostly selfish:  I've lost
track of who has what version of ARCUTIL (an apparently popular program
for manipulating ARC files and such), and I have an overworked public
domain software server of my own in operation.

Particularly after the demise of the mail interface to the public domain
software archives at SIMTEL20.ARPA, a great many local and semi-public
servers have been springing up around the network.  Many are being
developed independently with varying degrees of dissimilarity.  I am
hoping the PCSERV-L list will help us evolve along more similar lines,
and encourage sharing of useful utility programs.

Subscriptions should be sent to [log in to unmask]  There is also a
filelist for PCSERV-L.  It has the most current version of ARCUTIL
(through update U04).