"Michael L. Wyland" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 May 2000 05:51:17 -0500
To all:

Our forums are public and moderated, and our moderators are receiving daily
doses of spam that we'd like to stop (or limit) if we can.  We believe that
we have implemented the spam filtering options available to us using
LISTSERV 1.8d under Windows NT, but our list moderators sometimes see the
same spam going to 20 or 30 of our lists.  We serve out the obvious
addresses and send abuse messages to the senders' domains when possible.

Based on the sample header below, what would you suggest we do to further
limit the spam our moderators have to deal with?

Thanks!

>The "Big Tent" Discussion List of the Nonprofit World
>
>Owner= [TWO OWNER E-MAIL ADDRESSES]
>.HH ON
>Notebook= Yes,[DIRECTORY],Monthly,Public
>Errors-To= Owner
>Subscription= Open
>Ack= Yes
>Confidential= No
>Notify=[TWO NOTIFY ADDRESSES]
>Files=Yes
>Mail-Via= Distribute
>Validate= Yes
>Reply-to= List,Ignore
>Review= Owners
>Send= Editor,Hold
>Attachments= No,Filter
>Moderator= All, [THREE MODERATOR E-MAIL ADDRESSES]
>Editor=[FIVE EDITOR E-MAIL ADDRESSES]
>Stats= Normal,Private
>X-Tags= Yes
>Topics= Canada, U.K.
>Default-Topics= other
>Default-Options= Files,Repro,NoAck,SUBJecthdr
>Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(4),Max(100),Probe(30)
>Daily-Threshold=100,10
>Subject-Tag= CharityTalk
>Renewal= 15-Daily,Probe
>Digest= Yes,Same,Daily,12,Size(400)
>.HH OFF

Michael L. Wyland -- Vice President, CharityChannel
(605) 334-1103 (phone)
(877) 7-CHARITY (toll-free) -- (877) 724-2748
(605) 336-0275 (fax)