Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:43:34 -0500
>===== Original Message From LISTSERV give-and-take forum
>I am using LISTSERV ver 1.8d with sendmail 8.8 on a Dec Alpha UNIX Server
>running ver 4.0e.  I am concerned because I inherited this application from
>another who has left.  Where do I start checking?

Take a look at the processes on your system to see if you have any sendmail
and lsv processes going. To do this, type:

  ps aux | grep lsv
  ps aux | grep sendmail

There should be a few sendmail processes going and at least one lsv process.
If there's no lsv process going, then that means your Listserv has crashed.
Start it by going into ~listserv/bin and typing "./go.user". If no sendmail
processes are going, then you'll need to start sendmail. Specific directions
on how to do this depend on how your server is configured.

Note that you can easily test the sendmail to see if its accepting connections
by telnetting to the server's port 25 from a different system. If sendmail is
working, port 25 should give you a response when you telnet to it. If you get
no response, you either have a misconfigured sendmail or your sendmail isn't
operating.

Also, check the mail and Listserv logs on the system to make sure nothing odd
shows up there. Believe me, you'll know when something is wrong in either of
these log files when you see it.