Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:14:49 -0500
Paul Graham <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> regarding not being served out --  i would think that these unknown command
> entries would do the trick but the manual does say ``incorrect command''
> not ``unknown command''.

Hmmm.  Well, for a literal reading of the manual, *that* would be a good
one.  But looking back at the logs I think I was wrong entirely about my
loop idea.  I'd always assumed such a loop could happen, but though
LISTSERV ignores everything after a '--' line in my mail, it flagged
[log in to unmask] '--' as an error, same as you pointed out
(maybe because there were no valid commands ahead of it, as a way to
allow people whose required headers included -- to use LISTSERV?).  One
message (reformatted for readability) looked like this: a few error
lines ...

  > --
  Unknown command - "--". Try HELP.
  > END OF COMMANDS
  Unknown command - "END". Try HELP.
  Unknown command - "THIS". Try HELP.

but then a few lines that almost look like LISTSERV commands:

  > It understands the following commands:
  Unknown command - "IT". Try HELP.
  > subscribe <list> [<address>]
  No LISTSERV list by the name of  "<LIST>" is known to exist. Note that lists
  > Subscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) to the named <list>.
  No LISTSERV list  by the name of  "YOURSELF" is known to  exist. Note that

Perhaps those commands that just didn't have the "right" arguments
stopped the loop detector from activating?

Eric?

Oh well, I'm sure it will be fixed in the next version :-)
--
  Norm

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."          [Dan Quayle]