Dennis Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 May 1993 14:05:56 EDT
On Thu, 6 May 1993 18:22:05 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>This is all  fine except that, in  the vast majority of  cases, the users
>that  get served  out are  non-compliant mailers  or gateways.  What they
>report is delivery  errors for mailing lists. If you  just trash them you
>will never know about the problem.

Since I've wished for the ability to shut these messages off, I'll throw in
my two cents.  My experience here is that most of these are caused by (a) VAX
mail programs bouncing mail because of quota problems, (b) repeated user
error, and (c) those persistent people who I've served out because they
repeatedly post to a list which rejects them, but the messages are too large
to go back through the gateway from whence they came.

(B) and (C) seem to me to constitute errant users, not errant software.  (A)
raises a point which I've been wondering about:  is there anything in any
spec which makes the VAX mail system non-compliant?  I get enough of these
silly quota errors to find them irritating.

Perhaps I'm just irritable because of Mister Nuttall, definitely a Class (A)
errant user.

Dennis