Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:50:32 -0400
On Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:25:57 EDT, "Keller, Richard (CIT)" <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> Could someone please provide me with information concerning this situation.
> I have been able to duplicate the circumstance when I sent an HTML formatted
> email to a list from my MS-Outlook client.  Does the elimination of a bottom
> banner have to do with the content-type of the mail being distributed.  Help
> would be appreciated on this matter.

Most likely, the bottom banner is NOT being eliminated, but merely not
being displayed.  If the mail is in MIME format, with MIME boundaries,
any text that is before the first MIME boundary or after the last one
will not be displayed.  This trick was (and is still) used to great effect
whem MIME first came out - many MIME-aware mail packages would put a
'This is a MIME message.  If you are seeing it, you may want to consider
upgrading to a MIME-aware mail reader' in front of the first MIME boundary.

If the list has a notebook, check in the notebook and see if the trailer is
there - it will almost certainly be.

Note that correctly appending a trailer to a MIME message so it displays
is *non*-trivial - the two biggest problem cases are multipart/alternative
and multipart/signed, where there are semantics regarding the interrelationship
between body  parts.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst