Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:03:05 -0500
The person who maintains one of the 1,600+ lists here (Listserv 1.8d)
started seeing very strange behavior early yesterday morning. Someone
apparantly attempted to distribute a virus via this person's list and
spoofed two of this person's email addresses. One address that is on a
host that no longer even exists; the other from her computer in Ohio which
wasn't even powered on at the time this message was sent. Fortunately, her
list is set so that binary attachments are not permitted AND even though
the attachment was embedded in the frame of an HTML formatted msg, the
HTML was malformed and the MIME was also malformed so the virus portion of
the message never reached anyone on the list.

This happened again this morning, but the originating address was
different. This time, the from address was somewhere in ".cz" and probably
also spoofed (I suspect).

This list is set so that "Subscription= By_Owner" and "Send= Private". The
mail headers seem to indicate that the rogue messages originated from AOL.
I have since instructed this List owner to forward the rogue messages
intact to AOL to complain and set her list such that "Send=
Private,Confirm".

I have been maintaining our Listserv for more years than I care to
remember and this particular List owner has maintained this particular
list here for a good deal of that time. Neither of us has ever been
confronted by this type of activity before. Has anyone else had this
problem? I wonder how responsive AOL will be at helping to track down the
culprit.