Paul Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 17:17:16 -0500
[i hope this is the right list]

We're one of the (apparently) few sites running listserv (1.8b) with
sendmail (8.7.1) on sun equipment (under solaris 2.4).  I'm interested in
any experience tuning and or driving sendmail for the ~200k connection/day
range.  We've achieved 250k connections but it's taking an hour to get to
94% delivery.  I'd like to reduce that time plus I'm not sure I can scale
up to 400-600k connections without doing more tuning.  I've tried tweaking
a standard sendmail run (-bd -q1m) with varying minimum queue age values
but haven't had any success keeping up with the incoming queue (DISTRIBUTE
jobs from UBVM).  I do use deferred mode to skip the domain lookup on the
addresses listserv provides to sendmail so i have to run the queue by
hand. I'm currently running three queues with varying timer values.  The
fast queue allows 10 seconds to get to the HELO, the medium queue allows 2
minutes and the slow queue runs with default values.  Since sendmail isn't
really designed to run multiple queues as the normal case this is not
working as smoothly as I might like.  I end up with rather peaky use curves
and it seems if I could keep the load at the average value I'd actually be
able to deliver to 1,000,000 recipients daily.