Laurence Shatkin <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:42:10 GMT
My company, Educational Testing Service, is considering creating at least
one moderated list to facilitate discussion of its services.  I wonder if
anyone who moderates a list would kindly share some information about what
running a list entails.  If you don't moderate a list but know the address
of the owner of a moderated list, please answer question #3.

Specifically, I would like to know the following:

1.  On the average, how many hours per week do you spend on tasks related to
moderating the list?  (If you do not do this alone, how many others are
involved, and what is their commitment of time?)

2.  How is this commitment of time divided among the various tasks
required (e.g., dealing with bounced mail, subscription problems,
editorial functions)?

3.  Are there some other moderated lists that you consider exemplary, or
experts you know who can advise me?

Any caveats you can offer will be gratefully received.

Thank you for your help.